Frequently Asked Questions

How will I track my progress?

Oregon State University uses an online degree audit system to help you track your progress toward your degree. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the tools and information provided by this system. The MyDegrees system will automatically apply baccalaureate courses and courses that fit in the NR Specialty Option. Courses in the NR Core and Breadth will need to be manually applied by the Advisor as you complete each term. It's helpful if you can let your advisor know which requirement you would like the class applied to as some courses can fit in multiple areas. If you ever see something missing or in a place you didn't expect contact your advisor directly for assistance.


What are Academic Regulations?

The Academic Regulations found in the OSU General Catalog are the policies you must follow as an OSU student. You should familiarize yourself with these regulations and understand the consequences of withdrawing from a class, academic warning or probation, etc..


What is the deadline to drop a class?

Consult the Academic Calendar  for each term's important academic dates and deadlines. Bookmark this page and make sure you know the deadlines for adding and dropping courses, changing the grading basis of a class or withdrawing from a class. These deadline are strictly enforced and can seriously impact your degree progress and financial aid.


How many classes can I have a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading basis?

  • A maximum of two total courses in the NR Core, Breadth, and/or Specialty Option may be taken on an S/U basis.
  • In the Baccalaureate Core you may have up to 36 credits on an S/U basis.


Is there a minimum GPA that I must acheive?
Student must maintain a cummulative minimum 2.0 grade point average in order to graduate from OSU. In addition students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the NR Core and NR Breadth blocks and a minimum GPA of  2.25 for the NR Specialty Option block.


How do I design an Individualized Specialty Option?

Students will work with their advisor to determine appropriate coursework. They will write a proposal that will include the rationale for their course selection, career goals and applicabiltiy of the chosen coursework to those goals.

  • contain at least 20 credits of upper division courses
  • consist of a minimum of 40 credits, encompassing at least three departments, with not more than 24 credits from one department
  • have coursework that reflects stated knowledge and skill "goals"
  • not come close to "duplicating" existing majors


How does "Double Counting" Courses work?

A class used in the Baccalaureate Core (Bacc Core) may also be used to fulfill one requirement in the NR curriculum (the NR Core or the NR Breadth or the Specialty Option). This is the only kind of double counting allowed. Please check with your advisor if you are unsure about a course double-counting in your program. No courses can be double counted between the NR parts of the degree (Core, Breadth or Specialty Option).


GEO 300 can be used:

  • for the Bacc Core - Contemporary Global Issues (CGI) requirement OR
  • for the Bacc Core - Science, Technology, and Society (STS) requirement


  • for the NR Breadth - Political Dimensinons OR
  • for the Specialty Option - i.e. NR Policy and Management, Human Dimensions in Natural Resources or Native Americans and Natural Resources

    GEO 300 cannot be used for both of the Bacc Core requirements or both of the NR requirements.


Do I have to meet the prerequisites for a course?

Students are responsible for taking prerequisite classes or obtaining the consent of the instructor to bypass the prerequisite. Prerequisites provide the necessary background for specific courses but not all prerequisites are enforced. Students are encouraged to carefully review course requirements in the General Catalog and Schedule of Classes and plan ahead in order to meet class and class standing restrictions. If you feel you have met the course prerequisites through other coursework or professional work you can contact the intructor to request an override. Let the Instructor know the course, institution, grade and term that the prerequisite was met along with a completed Registration Override Permission Form.


Are internships required?

Internships are not required in the Natural Resources Program. NR students benefit from the abundance of summer employment and internship opportunities advertised through the College of Forestry Student Services Office and available through their own communities. While work experience/internships are not mandatory, NR students are strongly encouraged to supplement their academic portfolio with valuable work experience and professional references. No credit for Internships are given in the Natural Resources major.  Students may use 6 credits in an Individualized Specialty option by completing "Project Credits" under the supervision of a OSU faculty supervisor. Contact your Academic Advisor for more information on how to write a project proposal and receiving credits for a faculty supervised project.

How do I get my PIN number for registration?

Your advisor will provide a registration PIN number for Fall, Winter and Spring terms. No PIN is require for the summer term. You are required to meet with your advisor each term in order to receive your term registration PIN number. Corvallis Campus students will make an office appointment. Ecampus students may contact their advisor via email, phone or webex conference. All students should come prepared with a plan for the term as well as some alternative courses. Once the Advisor approves your plan the PIN# will be realeased to the student. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor well in advance of the start of registration.

How do I declare my Specialty Option?

Contact your advisor to discuss your choice of Specialty Option and the process for submitting the Change of Academic Program form.


What's the difference between a minor and a specialty option?

A Specialty Option is a required part of the degree which every student must complete. The 40 credit option focuses the study in a particular field of interest within Natural Resources.

A minor is not required. Generally a minor is earned in a separate but complementary field to Natural Resources in addition to the specialty option. It expands the breadth of the degree. Minors are often earned in world languages, sociology, sciences, business and entrepreneurship, etc..

In addition to a minor, there are several certificate programs and double degree programs that pair nicely with the Natural Resources major

Undergraduate Geographic Information Science Certificate
Sustainability Double Degree


Will I have an opportunity do study abroad?

Yes! Both On-Campus and Ecampus students can participate in international study abroad opportunities. Visit the COF International Programs website for more information.