Internships, Projects and Study Abroad

Experiential Learning: Projects, Internships and Study Abroad

The Natural Resources program offers several ways for you to use experiential learning in your academic program. While not required, these credit-bearing opportunities provide valuable hands on experience that can prepare you to work in your field and build your resume before you graduate. You can use up to 6 credits of related experiential learning in your area of specialization or other major requirement if petitioned and approved in advance.  You should declare your specialization option before submitting a proposal for a project, internship or study abroad credits that is related to your specialization. You will need to register for credits in the same term that you are actively working on the project, internship or study broad. For example, summer internships will require you to register for summer term. Experiential learning may encompass more than one term but you would need to register for credits for each term in which you are actively engaged. You should submit your proposal for your experiential learning credits at least TWO TERMS prior to the beginning of the term in which it occurs.


NR 406 Project
A project is appropriate for those students who are interested in gaining skills in a very specific academic area or conducting undergraduate research. You may design your own project, work on a project with an agency, non-profit or community organization or assist a faculty member with their research. A faculty mentor will supervise your project and provide a grade for the project at the end of the term. Finding the faculty mentor is the responsibility of the student but your academic advisor can point you toward resources to help with your search. (Note: You may also have a site supervisor depending on the nature of the project.) Projects can be graded on a Pass/No Pass or A-F grading basis. You will submit a proposal that includes a description of your project, the learning objectives, the final product that documents your learning (e.g. paper, website, site plan, display, poster, etc.) You will pay the typical tuition fee per credit as you would for any other credit-bearing class. If you are conducting undergraduate research you can apply to have that noted on your OSU transcript.


NR 410 Internship
An internship is similar to a project, but may have a broader focus and include more general skills. Both internships and projects require defined learning objectives and a final academic project (e.g. research paper, blog, site plan, website, poster, display, project, etc.)  An internship might be a seasonal job, field work or part-time work over an extended period of time. It is different from a project because a Site Supervisor is required as well as an OSU Internship Supervisor. The Site Supervisor will provide expertise in the field and an assessment of your work upon completion of the internship. The OSU Internship Supervisor will monitor your progress and assign the grade. Internships can be graded on a Pass/No Pass or A-F grading basis. You will submit a professionally written proposal that includes a description of your project, the learning objectives, and the final product that documents your learning. The research paper (or other product or deliverable) will be graded by the OSU Internship Supervisor. You can find many internships and seasonal work positions posted on the College of Forestry Employment Opportunities webpage.

Study Abroad
The College of Forestry International Programs organizes three types of opportunities abroad: Faculty-Led Programs, Exchange & Study Abroad and Internships & Research. These credit-bearing opportunities are eligible for university and college scholarships. Faculty-led programs are led by College of Forestry Faculty. These programs study a specific theme or focus, are eligible for academic credit and are usually shorter than the length of a term. Often they are conducted during breaks such as summer or spring break. These are ideal for working students or Ecampus students who would like a short term hands on intensive experience.  Exchange programs are typically a semester or academic year and integrates into a host university’s academic and student community. Study abroad programs vary in duration and focus and can include intensive language or field studies for single and multiple terms abroad. International internships allow students to pursue professional level work experience overseas while receiving academic credit. Most international internships are a minimum of ten weeks in duration and can take place any time of the year. The College of Forestry and partner programs offer internships all over the world!

In addition OSU Global Opportunities has a wide range of programs and scholarship offering. IE3 Global provides international internships in 50 different countries.


Contact your Academic Advisor to discuss which experiential learning opportunity would best fit your academic plan!